A municipality in Upper Carniola, the town of Bled is situated in northwestern Slovenia, towered by the majestic Julian Alps a most sought after tourist destination. The town’s first settlement dates back to the Mesolithic Age while the first mention of the Bled Castle was in 1004 when it was bestowed upon Bishop Albuin I of Brixen by the Holy Roman Emperor Henry II. Bled went through a series of historical events and by 1918, it became a part of Yugoslavia and a great summer retreat for the ruling Karađorđevic Serbian Dynasty. It continued to be so when President Josip Broz Tito had his residence built here.
[Booking_search_hotel Bled, Slovenia/]
Slovenia’s only natural island, Bled Island is surrounded by the beautiful Lake Bled. Lake Bled, which is a fascinating glacial lake in the Julian Alps, is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the town. The lake is flanked by scenic forests and gigantic mountains that give the island a fairytale like atmosphere. Bled Lake is also very popular among rowing enthusiasts who like to row in its serene and calm waters. It has also been host to several World Rowing Championships. People can also indulge in activities such as canoeing, kayaking, rafting, wind surfing and fishing at the lake. Bled is also known for its spas and lake resorts that are available here.
The 15th century Pilgrimage Church of the Assumption of Mary is one of the finest buildings in Bled Island. Its majestic 52 meter tower has a grand stairway consisting of 99 steps leading up to the top of the building. The church is most commonly used as a wedding venue because of its scenic location and the natural attraction of the place. There are several other notable buildings on the island, but the Pilgrimage Church tops the list, as the most elegant of all the buildings on this fairytale island of Bled.
Also most sought after is the symbolic Bled Castle, a medieval attraction that gracefully sits atop a rock overlooking the lovely Lake Bled below. The castle is Slovenia’s second most visited attraction after the Postojna Cave. A Romanesque tower in the castle is the oldest part of it, with buildings in the Baroque style having been built much later. A drawbridge over a moat leads to the castle with buildings built surrounding two courtyards that are conjoined by a staircase. A 16th century chapel with illusionist frescoes can also be seen in this medieval castle.